cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gomochainstall
Level 6

Upgrade scenario, how does InstallShield handle it?

Hi All,

I currently have the installation process done, so now I'm working on getting the update process to work, but I'm not entirely sure how this works in InstallShield. From what I understood is that InstallShield only replaces files if the version number is greater than the previous version, unless you use Patch Optimization. First question: how do I run Patch Optimization if I have a compressed setup.exe? I can't select my setup.exe as a 'previous patch'. Do I have to build both compressed (for public release) and uncompressed (for internal use)? Is that how other companies do it?

I use dynamic file linking for all components, can I somehow make sure that everything is being overwritten when upgrading? How do I do this? Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
shunt
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi -

If you are using "Patch Design" which you'll find under "MEDIA" in your project you will be able to add a compressed setup.exe as your previous setup.
When you add it, Installshield will show a dialog stating:

"The selected setup is compressed. Patch creation requires that this setup be uncompressed. Would you like Installshield to create an uncompressed version of this setup now?"

Clicking "yes" will allow Installshield to do just that, and your previous package will then be added.

A while ago I created an introduction video for Windows Installer upgrades which explains the pro's and cons of each upgrade type. You may find it useful, here:

Introduction to Windows Installer Upgrade Types :
https://community.flexera.com/t5/InstallShield-Knowledge-Base/Introduction-to-Windows-Installer-Upgrade-Types/ta-p/193041

I hope this helps,
Stuart

0 Kudos