cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
J_anitha
Level 8

Upgrade issue....Urgent!!!!

Hi All,

I have a product with ProductName XXX and Version 1.0.0.0 Now I have to upgrade it to Version 1.0.0.1, each time I build I change the ProductName also, to reflect the version in the name.
When I try to install the newer version I am getting the following error which I have attached.
The current installer is searching for the previous installed version .msi file in the current source location.

Is there any workaround for this issue.

I have the previous version of the product already released to the customer, which has its version in ProductName.
So I cannot keep the same product name for my new releases.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks ....

Anitha
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Windows Installer does not allow the name of an MSI package to change for small updates or minor upgrades (a major upgrade is required). Since InstallShield builds the MSI package based on the current product name in a project, the MSI filename will change if the product name has changed. To resolve this, do not change the product name, or specify the original MSI filename in the "MSI Package File Name" field in the product configuration for the release you are building (in the Releases view).
0 Kudos
reachyouvenkat7
Level 4

Hi,

If you are using IS2K9 (or even IS 12) you will be having options for specifying previous releases in patch desgin panel. The final MSP (patch) of this release will be a hash image of your previous and latest releases which will be error prone and provide THE BEST OUTPUT. If you are changing your package name, then the upgrade will be a MAJOR UPGRADE.
Also ensure that before creating patch, ensure that all your previous products got uninstalled, delete traces from registry (like shared dlls, UNINSTALL,APPPATH) and clearn TEMP (this is very must).

Please have a look of the attached screenshot with respect to upgrades.
0 Kudos