cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
slomicka
Level 5

Upgrade gets fatal error.

I am performing a major upgrade on an install. The original install was a Wise MSI install and the upgrade is an InstallShield MSI install. When the InstallShield install is finishing up the upgrade I get a system exception and have kill the install. In the attached log on line 5406 is the error. It is related to something called "WiseWriteWebXML". Is this something being called in the uninstall portion of the upgrade since it starts with Wise? The error happens almost at the very end of the install. I tried the flag “continue on failure” in the upgrades dialog but I still get the error.

When I install and uninstall the Wise installation it works without error. Any help would be appreciated.

Steve
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
slomicka
Level 5

nudge, anyone?
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Without having looked that closely at it, around the line number you mentioned is a note about 2769, which the MSI help library documents as caused by bad placement of that action, though that would presumably have showed up in the original install/validation.

Without having looked at the whole log file, does anything change if you change the placement of RemoveExistingProducts?

P.S. A web search for that action name turns up references to 2769 that suggest that isn't the issue. If you log and compare properties set by the standalone install/uninstall to those in the major upgrade's uninstall, does anything jump out?
0 Kudos
slomicka
Level 5

"RemoveExistingProducts" might be it. I inherited these WISE-MSI Installer installs and they suspect. That is the reason we purchased IS. I will take a look at that. Unfortunately they have been released so if they don’t upgrade well there is not much I can do. Thanks again.
0 Kudos