cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
knoepdan
Level 6

Upgrade failed with Error 1316

Hi

In our InstallShield 2010 Basic MSI project i try to test upgrades as this will certainly be necessary one day. So i build the project, install it somewhere. Next i change the "Package code" Guid and the "Product Version" (only last number) and rebuild the package. When i try to reinstall the last build (which should be a minor Upgrade as far as i have understood the upgrade mechanism) i get the following error message:

Error 1316.A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\DISK1\MyMSI 2.5.msi

I have not yet managed to get rid of this error. Installing on different machins (developer machine, vm image, separate workstation, xp or vista) has not had in influence. Vaying the number of properties i change (version number, package code... ) has not helped either.

I am pretty sure its a newbe mistake i make and the solution is rather simple. I would be grateful for any help.
Thanks in advance and greetings.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

This error typically occurs when the name of the MSI package has changed from the name it was with the base installation. The MSI filename cannot change in a minor upgrade.

Note that this can happen if the product name was changed in the General Information view, since the MSI filename is based off of the product name by default. The MSI filename can be overridden in the Releases view by selecting the product configuration that contains the release being built; in the product configuration settings the MSI Package File Name field can be used to specify a name that will be used as the MSI filename.
0 Kudos
knoepdan
Level 6

That was it. Silly mistake but thanks for your answer.

greetings
0 Kudos
saikatch
Level 2

joshstechnij wrote:
This error typically occurs when the name of the MSI package has changed from the name it was with the base installation. The MSI filename cannot change in a minor upgrade.

Note that this can happen if the product name was changed in the General Information view, since the MSI filename is based off of the product name by default. The MSI filename can be overridden in the Releases view by selecting the product configuration that contains the release being built; in the product configuration settings the MSI Package File Name field can be used to specify a name that will be used as the MSI filename.

Thanks Josh, your suggestion helped a lot for a beginner like me. 😮
0 Kudos