cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DLee65
Level 13

Upgrade Action Property used more than once error

ISDEV : error Val0008: In the Upgrade table, the Action Property 'ISFOUNDNEWERPRODUCTVERSION' is used more than once. This may cause undesirable results at runtime.

I received this error when I try to build a patch. When I check the Upgrade table there are only two record entries. Record 1 has ISFOUNDNEWERPRODUCTVERSION, Record 2 has ISACTIONPROP1.

The conflict may be that ISFOUNDNEWERPRODUCTVERSION in the original release relates to the record with ProductVersion 9.00.0000 while the Updated release relates to the record with ProductVersion 9.02.0000. Below is what the updated release upgrade table looks like.

UpgradeCode | VersionMin | VersionMax | Language | Attributes | Remove | ActionProperty
{BB53E0F0-5868-4FA9-8CEC-6227DF6CB971}|9.02.0000|Null|Null|2|Null|ISFOUNDNEWERPRODUCTVERSION
{BB53E0F0-5868-4FA9-8CEC-6227DF6CB971}|9.00.0000|9.02.0000|Null|769|Null|ISACTIONPROP1

The original release looks like this:

UpgradeCode | VersionMin | VersionMax | Language | Attributes | Remove | ActionProperty
{BB53E0F0-5868-4FA9-8CEC-6227DF6CB971}|9.00.0000|Null|Null|2|Null|ISFOUNDNEWERPRODUCTVERSION

I cannot change anything about the released version, only the upgrade version. I want to prevent the user from downgrading the setup as well. Keep in mind that ISFOUNDNEWERPRODUCTVERSION is used for the custom action type 19 to prevent downgrades, so its application in the upgrade scenario looks correct to me.

Any ideas of how to counter this issue? Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Not applicable

I'm not sure specifically what the validator is trying to report on in this case aside from the obvious. I don't believe it's accurately reporting a legitimate issue.

Perhaps someone else could validate this.
0 Kudos
DLee65
Level 13

It does not seem like a legitimate issue to me either, however, the error prevents the patch from being created so I have to resolve it anyway.

I have noted that if I change the property names in the Updated MSI then the error goes away, so I might try this approach. I just need to make sure that I do a find and replace to hit all locations where the property is currently used.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Validators shouldn't inhibit the patch creation process that I know of unless you're refering to your own internal patching standards.
0 Kudos
DLee65
Level 13

Well, in this case the validators are prohibiting the patch build. No patch is created. I thought the same as you Bryan until yesterday.
0 Kudos