cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Arne_Claassen
Level 3

Updating DirectX9 object to more recent distributable

The current version of the DirectX9 object seems to still be using the redistributable from the Dec 2006 SDK. Our app needs the files from the Nov 2007 redistributable. Is there a plan for this to get updated or does anyone know how to modify the existing one to include those files.

thanks
arne
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
Not applicable

Currently the only way to fix this is to get the object source and customize the object to include the later DX files.

Devin Ellingson
Software Developer
Acresso Software
0 Kudos
Arne_Claassen
Level 3

DevinEllingson wrote:
Currently the only way to fix this is to get the object source and customize the object to include the later DX files.

Is the source available?

thanks,
arne
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Yes, go to Tools | Check For Updates, the object templates should be listed as an update. (I assume that you are using IS2009).

Devin Ellingson
Software Developer
Acresso Software
0 Kudos
DLee65
Level 13

David I thought it was possible to do this by editing the appropriate object INI file and adding the new files to the same location as the current DX9 files.

C:\Program Files\InstallShield\2009\ObjectGallery\{464CB2DF-4E49-4C6B-9066-2A40DA074DBE}.ini

Add the appropriate files to this INI file. I believe there are two locations that need to be updated within the file.

Now place your Nov2007_* files in C:\Program Files\InstallShield\2009\Objects\DirectX9\Redist\DirectX9c

When the setup compiles it is supposed to include these extra files.

IMPORTANT NOTE: These changes need to be propagated to any standalone build machines and to other developers. It is not an efficient system but it is what it is.

Note that we have encountered some runtime issues with this method (I forget the details right now) so we just reverted back to adding the files in a subfolder of Disk1 and use an InstallScript custom action to run the setup.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Good point, do you mean the InstallScript Object or the MSI "object"?

Devin Ellingson
Software Developer
Acresso Software
0 Kudos
DLee65
Level 13

Devin,

Is there more than one object type? In my MSI projects all that shows up is an InstallScript object?
0 Kudos
Not applicable

For BasicMSI objects, it is simply a matter of adding the files.

Take a look at:

Updating the DirectX Object Files for Basic MSI and InstallScript MSI Projects

in the doc:

http://kb.acresso.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=installshield14helplib-IncludingDirectX9htm&sliceId=&docTypeID=DT_MACROVISIONHELPNET_1_1&dialogID=25301914&stateId=0%200%2025299682

Devin Ellingson
Software Developer
Acresso Software
0 Kudos
DLee65
Level 13

I should note that I have never got that to work as documented. I have always had to update the INI file as well.

Try it sometime with a clean install of IS2008 at least. Download the base object. After the download create a new small sample install and create a new feature and component with notepad.exe as the file. Before adding the DX9 object add one of the quarterly SDK expansions to the DX9c family. Now build and install on a clean WinXP machine. Look at the System32 folder and you will not find the appropriate SDK expansion.

Now go in and edit the INI file and add the two references to the file, rebuild and test the same scenario. Voila, this is what worked for me.
0 Kudos