cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wiggers
Level 7

Updated project fails on Vista x64

I've updated an InstallScript MSI project from IS 11.5 to 2010. Everything builds OK, but when I try to install on Vista x64 it fails due to not having Administrator rights. The same project installs perfectly when built under IS 11.5. What do I need to change in the updated project?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
wiggers
Level 7

Just tried it on Vista x86. It gets to the point where the status reads, "Evaluating Launch Conditions" and then stops saying Admin Priviledges are required.
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Have you tried setting the Required Execution Level on the Setup.exe tab of your release to "Highest available" or "Administrator"?
0 Kudos
wiggers
Level 7

I don't have access to that machine today, but I'm pretty sure I saw 'Highest Available.' I didn't know what it meant, I thought it was something to do with the CPU! I didn't change it from the default setting anyway.
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

An installation failure due to insufficient privileges on Vista or newer platforms is an indication that the setup is not running with admin privileges. This can happen if the setup launcher required execution level is set to "invoker" and run under any account on a machine with UAC enabled. The setup should be changed to require "highest available" or "administrator" in this case.

Another possibility is the required execution level is set to "highest available" and the installation is being launched from a standard user (non-admin) account. The "highest available" privileges in this case are standard non-admin user privileges, which can cause an InstallScript MSI project to fail to install. The same project run under an admin account should succeed because the process will elevate to use full admin privileges of the launching user. If this is the case, the setup can be changed to require "administrator" privileges. This will cause UAC to prompt for the user credentials of an admin account on the machine when this setup is launched. In this case, the setup will then run under the context of the user information provided to the UAC prompt, and not in the context of the launching user.

Note that a setup built with InstallShield 11.5 or older will require admin privileges because the operating system infers that the process being launched is a setup and the setup does not contain an application manifest indicating what privileges are required. All versions of InstallShield starting with version 12 embed an application manifest to tell the operating system what privileges are needed to run the setup.
0 Kudos
wiggers
Level 7

I've just checked on the build machine again and somehow it had been set to 'invoker' in the release settings. Just rebuilding now... it may take some time...
0 Kudos