cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
erani78
Level 2

Update the Progress Bar

Hi,

I have a basic MSI Project. I want to update the progress bar as I call an execute CA that install some files.

I find 2 VBScripts functions - one to add the total ticks during script generation - immediate CA and one to add individual ticks during script execution - deferred CA . I place these 2 VBScript CA just before calling my execute CA but I need to call to the function of the deferred action in order to influence the Progress Bar. How can I do it ? In a 4 CA ?

Thanks,

Eran
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

In that situation the deferred action is the one that increments the progress bar; can your code be moved to the custom action DLL so that it feeds "live" progress information back to the installer (posting an increment after each file, for example)? Or otherwise have your executable feed information back to the DLL so that it can (again) post information to the running MSI?

(As an aside, if possible your installer should use built-in MSI functionality to handle file transfer, instead of using a custom action, to make uninstallation, rollback, uninstall+rollback, etc., easier...)
0 Kudos
erani78
Level 2

Thanks for the reply,

Do you mean that the deferred CA ( VB Script) will Execute the .EXE file ( ShellExecute function) instead of a separate Execute CA ? if so, where exacty I need to put it inside the Code ?

P.S
The EXE file import some content to the Application. I can't use Windows Installer instead.

Thanks,

Eran
0 Kudos