cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tcom36
Level 7

Update successfull, but when starting newer version, it goes into repair mode

I have encountered another problem with the update.

I have an MSI InstallScript project. I start the setup of the older version and it gets installed without problem. The installed application starts as expected

Then I start the setup of the newer version. InstallShields detects an older version is installed and asks if it should be updated. I answer yes, the update runs through without problem. But when I start the newer installed version, InstallShield says it is configuring the application (looks like a repair install), and then the older version starts.

What do I do wrong, why does the installer "restore" to the older version?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
tcom36
Level 7

I have found a suspecting entry in the logfile when performing the upgrade:

MSI (s) (B4:18) [11:29:09:968]: Machine policy value 'EnforceUpgradeComponentRules' is 0
MSI (s) (B4:18) [11:29:09:968]: SELMGR: ComponentId '{49E30686-6E89-CCDB-01CA-53E7C39BAA80}' is registered to feature 'emotachdirect', but is not present in the Component table. Removal of components from a feature is not supported!
MSI (s) (B4:18) [11:29:09:968]: SELMGR: Removal of a component from a feature is not supported

Could this explain the "repair" installation which reinstalled the older version?

How do I find out which file is behind this ComponentId? I tried to find it in InstallShield, but to no success.
0 Kudos