cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RayKode
Level 6

Unspecified error dialog when viewing the summary tab of a patch on XP

Here’s the issue:

I create a patch with IS 2012 professional.
I right click on it.
Select properties.
Click on the “Summary” tab.
When done viewing the summary tab, I click on the “OK” button.
I receive a “Unspecified error “ dialog.
I click on Cancel and everything is just fine.
The patch installs perfectly and does all of the things it is supposed to do.
It’s just this error dialog that is the issue.

Here are some details:

IS 2012 professional. (Although the same thing happens if I use 2011 or 2010 or 2009. I have all four versions.

This dialog issue only occurs on XP. (Virgin, Sp2 and Sp3. 32 bit versions and on a 64 bit version of XP with Sp2 applied)
Vista and Windows 7 don’t have a Summary tab.
But all the tabs that are shown work fine with Windows Vista and Windows 7.
All of the versions of XP have every possible MS update applied to them.
IE 8
Tried 6 different XP boxes so far with the same result.

I have tried upgrading the Windows Installer to 4.5 with no improvement.

This same thing occurs regardless of if, the patch is a Quick patch variety or was created by the Patch design view.

If I create an MSI, with the same version of Installshield as was used to create the patch, I DON’T receive any error messages when viewing the Summary tab of the .MSI on XP.

Here’s my motivation:
This particular patch will be installed by several firms with over 100,000 pc each on their networks.
They will have no sense of humor, about receiving this kind of dialog when viewing the Summary tab of my patch.
So, I’m looking for an explanation and some kind of work around.

I opened an incident with IS: 118939

IS has the greatest people in the world, I swear.
It THE reason why I insist that we continue to use the InstallShield family of products.
But so far, they are not able to offer anything more specific than:
“At this time it is my understanding this is an operating system specific problem.”

Any ideas or suggestions, as to what is occurring and what I might do to get around this issue, would be greatly appreciated.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Without diving too deeply into this, here are a couple questions and thoughts.

• InstallShield is obviously not actively part of the mix for the scenario you describe, so real question is whether there's something off in the .msp that InstallShield creates, or something in Windows Explorer or the OS.
  • Does this occur with all patches on XP? How about any built with products other than InstallShield? From an API level, patches do differ from installation databases, so the differing behavior between .msi and .msp is not too surprising.
  • When a large firm such as you describe deals with this, they are unlikely to deploy the physical .msp to their desktops; instead only system admistrators will likely access the file, and instead apply the patch to the desktops. This limits the scope of humorless people who would worry from thousands to tens.
  • Can you avoid the problem by distributing the .msp file compressed in an update.exe? Then Explorer will not be able to access the .msp and reveal this beahvior.
0 Kudos
RayKode
Level 6

Hello once again.
And thanks for your continued interest.

Sorry for the tardy response, but a lot folks are “out of the office” until the new year.
So, (probably like yourself), I'm doing triple duty through the end of the year.

I’m sorry about the “uploaded file” access issue.
Hmmmmmmmmm.

Some good news.

I use an application from FlexEra named Installshield to create .MSI’s and Patches.
(The are staffed by some really REALLY good folks.)

Anyway, although they were not able to give em a definite explanation (yet) as to why this issue was occurring only with patches (and not with .MSI’s).
They (George in particular) were able to provide me with a work around.

Which, I am happy to report was implemented and is now successfully in production.

The work around ?

Drum roll please …………
Make the patch “Read only” before making it available to clients.

It was one of those “Well, Duh” moments. (At least for me it was.)

And sure enough.
If the patch is read only, the “Unspecified error” dialog, no longer appears when clicking on the “OK” button after viewing the “Summary” tab.
Everything on the Summary tab of the properties, appears “grayed out”.
But the information is all readable.

So, George at InstallShield, gave me, a much appreciated, Christmas present.

And thank YOU for your interest and efforts.
I truly DO appreciate them.

Ray in Wisconsin
0 Kudos
RayKode
Level 6

Thanks for the reply Michael:

You wrote:
Does this occur with all patches on XP?

Ray's response:
It does with all patches that I create.
But NOT with all patches that I could FIND on my pcs.
IE:
I found MS .Net patches that DID exhibit the same behavior.
The same was true with some patches associated with Google.
But, at the same time, other patches on my pc authored by both of the same Orgs, did NOT exhibit the issue.

You also wrote:
How about any built with products other than InstallShield?

Ray’s response:
Good question.
I have an evaluation copy of WISE.
And just for grins, I created a patch with that product.
And the patch does NOT exhibit the same behavior as the patch I created with IS.
But I’m not a WISE guru.
So it is entirely possible that the patch is not really “formed” correctly and, might not be usable.
I simply created it so that I might check the “Summary” tab.

And then you wrote:
When a large firm such as you describe deals with this, they are unlikely to deploy the physical .msp to their desktops; instead only system admistrators will likely access the file, and instead apply the patch to the desktops. This limits the scope of humorless people who would worry from thousands to tens.

Ray’s response:
Of course, you are absolutely correct.

And finally you wrote:
Can you avoid the problem by distributing the .msp file compressed in an update.exe?

Ray’s response:
There are a couple of other advantages to using a bootstrap.
But unfortunately “our” clients don’t want anything to do with them.
Only .Mse and .Msp’s.

Thanks once again for your reply.

I guess someday, I would like to understand more about why this is an issue with patches created with IS but not with WISE.
Or maybe not.

At this juncture, because Installshield was fabulous (as is usually the case) about helping me resolve my immediate issue , by suggesting a very easy to implement work around, I don’t think I really need to bother anyone more, with this issue.

As far as I am concerned, I’m one happy camper.

Thanks once again for YOUR interest.

People in my line, couldn’t ask for a better partner than Installshield.

Ray in Wisconsin
0 Kudos