cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
david_kennedy
Level 2

Unregistering OCXs and DLLs During Build

I have a VB 6 application that I was using InstallShield LE 2010 to package. I recently upgraded to InstallShield LE 2012 and have also tried InstallShield LE 2013 and have been having issues. The following scenario occurs (attachment has screen captures)
1) I had my box where I could load and run the code through the VB6 IDE without any issues
3) I closed the IDE
4) I built the installer package but did nothing with it
5) I opened the IDE and tried to load the project and all the OCXs and DLLs give error messages as if they have been unregistered

Has anyone else seen this or have some suggestions?
Dave
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
chiranjeevi
Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Hello David,

If a Visual Basic project uses a custom control (.OCX) whose CLSID has changed since the project was last opened, the following message will be displayed when opening the project:
'' could not be loaded-Continue Loading Project?

After choosing "Yes," a second message will occur two times:
Errors during load. Refer to for details

Once the project is opened, all occurrences of the custom control have been replaced with PictureBox controls.

The CLSID of each custom control is saved in the project file (.VBP). The VBP file may be opened with Notepad or any text editor. If you know the new CLSID for the new version of the custom control, the VBP file can be modified to reflect this change in CLSIDs.

NOTE: Version compatibility in custom controls is used to ensure that your new version of a custom control will not break backward compatibility with applications that may be using older versions of your custom control. Following the example below to modify the project file with the new CLSID could result in unexpected errors in your application.

For example, if your custom control, named Custom.OCX, appears in your project, a line in the VBP file could read as follows:
Object={B0784T02-A67Y-11E0-8840-00DD00F7B36C}#1.0#0; Custom.Ocx

You can modify the CLSID in the above line,
{B0784T02-A67Y-11E0-8840-00DD00F7B36C}

with the new CLSID of the Custom.Ocx. Saving the VBP file and reopening the project with Visual Basic should solve the problem.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Chiranjeevi
0 Kudos