cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NLough
Level 3

Uninstalling a windows service

I have created a basic MSI project which installs my service as expected (I selected the appropriate exe in the Components under Organisation and created an entry under Install NT Services). When I then run Uninstall SINGLE_EXE_IMAGE I'd expected the service to be removed. To achieve this I used the Component wizard, associated it with the relevant exe and followed the wizard (type selected CONTROL NT SERVICE, service is included in set up (highlighted), trigger no event on installation, trigger stop the service and delete the service when the component is uninstalled, wait for completion before continuing). The component shows a red exclamation. Any help would be appreciated. Using 2008 Professional. I am a complete novice and would appreciate any advice in simple terms. Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

A component typically shows that red exclamation point if it has not been associated with a feature. Each component in a project should be associated with one or more features. A feature is the smallest installable part of a product from the end user's perspective, and a component is the smallest installalble part of a product from the setup developer's perspective.

To associate a component with a feature, use the Setup Design view or the Features view. Right-click the feature that you want to include the unassociated component, and then click Associate Components. The Associate Components dialog box opens, enabling you to select the unassociated component.

I hope that helps.

Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation
0 Kudos
NLough
Level 3

Many thanks for the prompt reply - problem sorted.
0 Kudos