cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MRKiscaden
Level 5

Uninstalling Patch does not restore original files

Hi, I'm rather new to InstallShield. I have a Basic MSI project. Part of this project builds patches for a prior version of the same product.

After installing the .msp patch, I verify that all files have been updated correctly, however when I uninstall the patch (using MSI 3.0 and the Add/Remove programs option to remove patches) I find all files updated by the patch are deleted, and the original (unpatched) files are not restored.

I have been playing around with various settings in InstallShield but I have been unable to keep this from happening.

Note: All files are being dynamically added to the project at build time. The Project itself has no references to the files themselves until the build is run.

I am using default patch sequencing.

This is a minor upgrade (Same Product code, Update Code between versions)

Can someone clue me in on what I am doing wrong?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
GriffinSilver
Level 3

Did you get this resolved? I am getting the same issue.

Help anyone??
0 Kudos
MRKiscaden
Level 5

I did get it resolved. I was using dynamic file links in my projects. Unfortunately dynamic file linking and generating patches do not seem to work together.

When creating the patch, the Dynamic File links generate a new Component ID that does not match the original, which breaks the patch and uninstall process.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

One thing to try: in the last panel of the Release Wizard, there's a "previous package" setting you can use, the intention of which is to keep the File, Component, and Media keys matched up between builds. As you've seen, this is especially useful when using dynamic file links.
0 Kudos
GriffinSilver
Level 3

Thanks for the fast reply... looks like I'll have to create small updates instead. At least for my next release.
0 Kudos