cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sumanpal
Level 4

Uninstallation fail from Remove option

Hi,
I am using Basic MSI project and created one verbose log file using "MSI Command Line Arguments" option. So when I start my setup.exe the verbose log file is getting created but when I am trying to uninstall, uninstallation fails showing the message *.log file is being accessed by some other application. But if I uninstall from Add/Remove program unistallation is successfull.
I have included the *.log in removefile table.

So how can I delete the log file during uninstallation. I guess during uninstallation its writing in the log file and also trying to remeove the log file which causes the problem. How can I stop writing in log? I have used Disable(LOGGING) from the script in proper custom action but I am not able to stop writing in log.
But I don't know how Add/Remove program is doing the job successfully?

Is theire any other reason behind the problem?

Can anybody tell me what's the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Suman.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(10) Replies
sumanpal
Level 4

Somebody please help me out.
0 Kudos
TheResearch
Level 6

Where is the log file getting created?
In what scenario, uninstall fails?(how are you uninstalling)
Did you check whether your application is running when you uninstall the application?

Reply with the details.
0 Kudos
sumanpal
Level 4

Thanks for the reply.
Log file is getting created in window's temp folder. And before uninstalling we are killing the application(if it is running at all).
0 Kudos
sumanpal
Level 4

We are uninstalling from the Remove option of the maintenance page .
0 Kudos
TheResearch
Level 6

sumanpal wrote:
Thanks for the reply.
Log file is getting created in window's temp folder. And before uninstalling we are killing the application(if it is running at all).

Are you running any CA after 'MaintenanceWelcome'?
If there is no such action, usually after the 'MaintenanceWelcome' the InstallExecute seqence will be executed. And you said that when uninstalling from ARP works fine(means there is no prob in Execute sequence).
0 Kudos
sumanpal
Level 4

I guess when ARP is doing the uninstallation it does not write in log file and thats why its able to delete.But when we are doing uninstallation from Remove option its writing in the log and at the same time its trying to delete.And in that scenario in the log file I am getting the following information at the end
RemoveFiles: File: Quasar_Install.log, Directory: C:\DOCUME~1\Server\LOCALS~1\Temp\
MSI (s) (84:24) [16:25:24:296]: Verifying accessibility of file: Quasar_Install.log
MSI (s) (84:24) [16:25:24:296]: Verifying accessibility of file: Quasar_Install.log
MSI (s) (84:24) [16:25:24:312]: Note: 1: 2318 2: C:\Config.Msi\510966a.rbf
MSI (s) (84:24) [16:25:24:312]: Note: 1: 1306 2: C:\DOCUME~1\Server\LOCALS~1\Temp\Quasar_Install.log

My question is if I am deleting the log during uninstallation then why should I write into log ?We can stop writing into log while uninstalling.But how to do that? I have tried with DISSABLE(LOGGING) but not able to stop writing in log.

I need your help ...
0 Kudos
TheResearch
Level 6

Not sure how log file is getting written during uninstall... 😞

R u explicitly writing any log file?? If so how.

Check whether logging is enabled in the registry.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer\DisableMSI

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa368304(VS.85).aspx
0 Kudos
sumanpal
Level 4

Thanks for the reply.
I have created the log file using the command "EXE="true" /L*v %TEMP%\Quasar_Install.log"
in MSI Command Line Arguments option.
And I am not writing anything in the log file explicitly.

I don't have any entry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer\DisableMSI in registry. I think it supports in Windows Installer 4.0 We are using Windows Installer 3.1

Anyway What’s the problem and how to solve it still I don't know. I am working with that issue for a long time but still not getting any solution. Can anybody please help me?
0 Kudos
sumanpal
Level 4

Is there any commandline option from basic MSI to dissable logging.
Once I create my log file through the command, the control of that log file is not in my hand.
If anybody has any idea, please let me know.
Am I on the right track or anything I have messed up?
0 Kudos
sumanpal
Level 4

Am I clear about my problem???
If anybody has any doubt regarding the issue, please let me know and help me out.
Please help me out....I am not getting any solution!!!
Thanks in advance...
0 Kudos