cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bmgadg
Level 3

Uninstall shortcut broken

I am using IS 2010, and I create an uninstall shortcut in the start menu group for my app. The shortcut target is [SystemFolder]msiexec.exe in the IS project, but when I run the installer and try to click the uninstall shortcut, it searches for missing file msiexec.exe. So I checked the properties for the shortcut and it's this C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\OFFICE12\msiexec.exe /x {896A27B1-9320-4D17-B2C6-E5EEADA9ED9A}

Why is IS creating this shortcut when [SystemFolder]msiexec.exe is defined in the project before building?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(12) Replies
bmgadg
Level 3

Hello? A little help please...
0 Kudos
bmgadg
Level 3

Bump, bump, bump
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

If you create an MSI log file, do you see anything that's changing the value of [SystemFolder]?
0 Kudos
bmgadg
Level 3

RobertDickau wrote:
If you create an MSI log file, do you see anything that's changing the value of [SystemFolder]?

How will I know if a log file is created?
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

If neither the installer nor the target system's policy settings are set up to create one automatically, you'll do it by hand with a command like:

msiexec.exe /i installer_name.msi /L*v everything.log
0 Kudos
bmgadg
Level 3

RobertDickau wrote:
If neither the installer nor the target system's policy settings are set up to create one automatically, you'll do it by hand with a command like:

msiexec.exe /i installer_name.msi /L*v everything.log

I'm creating a single exe image, so can I still create a log file for msi?
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Please see the InstallShield help for details ("Setup.exe and Update.exe Command-Line Parameters", for example); you can pass switches through setup.exe to msiexec.exe with the /v switch, as in:

setup.exe /v"/L*v C:\everything.log"
0 Kudos
bmgadg
Level 3

RobertDickau wrote:
Please see the InstallShield help for details ("Setup.exe and Update.exe Command-Line Parameters", for example); you can pass switches through setup.exe to msiexec.exe with the /v switch, as in:

setup.exe /v"/L*v C:\everything.log"

Ok I got the log file and this is in it...

Property(S): SystemFolder = C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\OFFICE12\

Why is this happening?
0 Kudos
bmgadg
Level 3

Also found this...

MSI (s) (DC:0C) [15:34:54:451]: Doing action: SetODBCFolders
Action 15:34:54: SetODBCFolders. Initializing ODBC directories
Action start 15:34:54: SetODBCFolders.
MSI (s) (DC:50) [15:34:54:467]: Generating random cookie.
MSI (s) (DC:50) [15:34:54:467]: Created Custom Action Server with PID 3776 (0xEC0).
MSI (s) (DC:C8) [15:34:54:514]: Running as a service.
MSI (s) (DC:C8) [15:34:54:514]: Hello, I'm your 32bit Impersonated custom action server.
MSI (s) (DC:0C) [15:34:54:514]: LocalSQLInstallDriverEx returned 1 in remote context.
ODBC driver Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb, *.accdb) forcing folder SystemFolder to C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\OFFICE12\
MSI (s) (DC:0C) [15:34:54:561]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Modifying SystemFolder property. Its current value is 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\'. Its new value: 'C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\OFFICE12\'.
MSI (s) (DC:0C) [15:34:54:561]: SystemFolder folder has been set to 'C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\OFFICE12\'
MSI (s) (DC:0C) [15:34:54:561]: Note: 1: 2205 2: 3: ODBCTranslator
MSI (s) (DC:0C) [15:34:54:561]: Note: 1: 2228 2: 3: ODBCTranslator 4: SELECT `ComponentId`,`Description`,`Directory_`, `ActionRequest`, `Installed`, `Attributes` FROM `ODBCTranslator`, `Component` WHERE `ODBCTranslator`.`Component_` = `Component` AND (`ActionRequest` = 1 OR `ActionRequest` = 2)
Action ended 15:34:54: SetODBCFolders. Return value 0.
0 Kudos
bmgadg
Level 3

Possibly related to the ODBC System DSN that's created?
0 Kudos
bmgadg
Level 3

Bump... desperately need help!!!
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

I don't have any firsthand experience with this issue, but yes, the "forcing" part of the log suggests the action is responsible.
ODBC driver Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb, *.accdb) forcing folder SystemFolder to C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\OFFICE12\
For testing, presumably the shortcut works if you remove the DSN? Does this happen on every system? Does anything else in the installer point to that directory? Is the driver already installed somewhere else on the target system?
0 Kudos