cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nightcrawlercyp
Level 4

Uninstall msi

When uninstalling a msi from Control Panel the system is running a silent uninstall. Instead it should run the msi with the -i option. I was wandering if there is any setting that may enable such behaviour.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Sorry, you can't change the behavior of the Uninstall/Remove button. The common approach to this involves setting ARPNOREMOVE and requiring uninstallations to go through the Change/Modify UI.
0 Kudos
nightcrawlercyp
Level 4

I solved the problem by detecting if we have a sillent install, and in that case aborting install and launching manually the normal install
Details:
Add property set it to true
add function in ui sequence after iextract set property to false
add function in exec sequence after launch conditions
if property is set to true launch a non-sillent uninstall and then exit
0 Kudos
nightcrawlercyp
Level 4

apparently for some reason on xp calling abort (or exit) from a custom action causes an annoying messagebox to appear with the message "Fatal error". The mechanism still works ok, but this message should be suppressed. Is there a way to do this?
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Assuming this is a basic MSI, why not just return the right code to say "the install is over" (skip remaining actions)? The return values are covered on MSDN.
0 Kudos
nightcrawlercyp
Level 4

I already tried returning ERROR_SUCCESS, but it continues with the installation in this case when I want is for the installation to stop.

Just tried with ERROR_INSTALL_USEREXIT . Seems to work. Thanks a lot!
0 Kudos