cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
agshah
Level 7

Uninstall location in the registry

Hi all,
I have an InstallScript MSI project. At install time, I want to store some information to be used at
uninstall time.
I am thinking of creating registry values at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\guid
where guid is the product guid.

At uninstall time I want to read these values. Is it recommend to write and read from this location?

If so, from the installs scripts is there a property that I can use to reference HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
and append the guid?
Or do I need to hardcode HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall and append the guid?

thanks,
Ashish
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Not applicable

I would suggest you create your own product key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\\. That's what we do and afaik is standard industry practice.

So for example I work for a company called Cristie and we have a product called CBMR (don't think I'm giving too much away there!), so I use: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cristie\CBMR

Under that key I add items like product version no, installation path and product settings.

Hope that helps.
0 Kudos
chad_petersen
Level 9

x2 - Good advice ^^ there.

Chad
0 Kudos