cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dracan
Level 5

Uninstall level - changing registry's "UninstallString" parameters

I'm using a Basic MSI project.

When I remove our software via Add/Remove programs it seems to do a silent uninstall (level 3 I believe from forum searches). Is there anyway I can change the behaviour of this? I need the user interface to be displayed when uninstalling.

I'm presuming that this is just calling the value in the UninstallString registry entry? If so, it looks like I need to change that registry value from "msiexec.exe /x{PRODUCT_GUID}" to "msiexec.exe /x{PRODUCT_GUID} /qf".

Is there anyway I can tell InstallShield to add the /qf parameter to the UninstallString? Or will I have to do it manually in InstallScript?

Thanks for any info,
Dan.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

With resorting to trickery (such as hiding the normal Add or Remove Programs entry from Windows Installer and creating your own), if you want to show the UI during uninstall from ARP, common practice seems to be to hide the Remove button and require going through the Modify button.
0 Kudos
dracan
Level 5

That sounds very confusing to the end user. All other entries in add/remove programs have a remove option.

My uninstall process has a dialog asking the user if they want to remove saved program data. We need question to be asked regardless which method they uninstalled the software with.
0 Kudos