cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chris_Cardinal
Level 2

Uninstall in Windows 7 does nothing

I am using Installshield 2008. From the Control panel, Programs and Features applet, when I select my product, Uninstall, Change and Repair options are enabled.

If I choose Uninstall, the msi is invoked and seems to be going through the process and completes successfully. However, no files or other kinds of entries are removed. Hitting F5 shows the product still in the list.
Event viewer logs show successful completion of the uninstallation with the right product code and name.

If I instead use Change then Remove (once the dialog is displayed), all files and collateral are removed. I note that this process invokes UAC (on Win7) for authorization of the removal. It does NOT do this in the "Uninstall" case.

On Windows XP, remove from the Add/Remove Programs applet always works. This is VISTA/Win 7 specific.

What is the difference and how can I correct this?

Regards....
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Chris_Cardinal
Level 2

Does no one have any idea? Is there no one at flexera monitoring this forum?
0 Kudos
Kelter
Level 10

Do you have any feature conditions that might be setting the installLevel of your features? Do the properties upon which these conditions are based get re-initialized during maintenance mode? Are any of those properties being set by CAs that only run in the UI sequence? If you just click "Remove" from add/remove programs, then the UI sequence doesn't run, these properties won't be set, the feature conditions won't be properly evaluated, and this could lead to unpredictable behavior.

also, there are UAC concerns as well. when you click "remove" from add-remove programs, the whole thing runs with admin privileges. this is a special case. otherwise, only CAs that run in system context have administrative privs.
0 Kudos