cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mark_Koehler
Level 6

Uninstall Problem - Installed Features No Removed

InstallScript MSI

Uninstall is not working. Several of the features/components that were installed were not removed. This results in several EXEs, DLLs, services, a virtual directory, registry entries and more left behind.

The only clue I have is the MSI Log. The log seems to indicate the a feature is not installed when in fact it is. The log indicates components that are part of feature are installed but for some reason the feature isn't. Here's a couple sample lines from the LOG.

MSI (s) (78:E8) [11:30:06:964]: Feature: Data_Collection; Installed: Absent; Request: Null; Action: Null
MSI (s) (78:E8) [11:30:06:968]: Component: Data_Collection; Installed: Local; Request: Null; Action: Null

The component "Data_Collection" is installed. It can only get installed as part of the "Data_Collection" feature.

Since I've changed, compiled and tested setup literally dozens of times, I think I might be facing a situation where the installer database is simply "confused". Is there a way to wipe out all references to my features/components/etc. from the installer database so I can retest from scratch? Wiping out the OS is not a realistic option at this point.

I desperate for an answer at this point.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Does this behavior occur with a default setup.rul in your project? Also, is this behavior occurring on one machine or multiple machines?

You could try using the Windows Installer Cleanup utility or msizap.exe to try cleaning up the machine state.
0 Kudos
Mark_Koehler
Level 6

I can't use an empty (default) setup.rul because I have a few MSI properties and path that must be set at run time. However, using your suggestion, I started with a default and added just the necessary 5 lines to setup.rul. The problem persists. This is actually a bit of a relief as the setup script is rather complicated.

I have used the windows installer cleanup utility. That doesn't solve the problem either.

To reiterate, first time isntallation works fine. My problems are with uninstall not deleting EXEs (and more) that it should remove.
0 Kudos
Mark_Koehler
Level 6

As a follow up, the install/uninstall works just fine on my Win2K box. Must be something to do installation under Vista or my Vista configuration. It'll probably be a few days before I can test it against a fresh Vista OS.
0 Kudos