cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RodneyM
Level 4

Unable to get new versions of files to install

We have a basic Installshield 2008 project and since we update our program on a very regular basis I did not want to mess with the Upgrade Table because all of the files need to be reinstalled anyways and there are only 6 or so files.

The problem is when I change our exe files and build a new release through Installshield it comes up with the Modify/Reinstall/Remove screen and no matter if I pick Modify or Reinstall it goes through the motion but never installs the new versions of the files.

The stupid thing is that I've tried just about everything I can think of and this should be the easiest thing in the world. If I manually delete or rename the files it will reinstall it with both the Modify and the Reinstall settings but I can run it 100 times without deleting them and it won't.

And sometimes it will come up into the Modify/Reinstall/Remove screen and other times it just comes into a Resume Setup Screen.
Some things I have tried are:
1.) Setting each files properties to Always Overwrite
2.) Changing the ReinstallModeText property to amusv
3.) Tried adding The Reinstall = ALL and ReinstallMode = [ReinstallModeText] events to the Maintenance Type dialogs using the _IsMaintenance = "Change" condition.
4.) And about a hundered other things which don't seam to help.

Somebody please help me. I've used 5 or 10 other installer packages through the years and not once have we ran into this problem.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

If you haven't yet, perhaps try creating a minor upgrade item in the Upgrades view of your project? That will create a setup.exe that passes the command-line switches used by a minor upgrade (if an appropriate target is already on the system, otherwise just runs as a first-time installation), and performs upgrade validation during the build process...
0 Kudos
RodneyM
Level 4

Thanks and I've tried adding both minor and major upgrades to it and still no luck. It looks like since I had deleted a component that maybe that was the problem. I tried this and it seams to have worked.

1.) Create a major upgrade.
2.) Then generate a new Product Code in the Project Properties.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Right, it is not possible to delete a component in a minor upgrade. The following help topic lists some other common upgrade tasks, and shows which types of upgrades (major, minor, small) support each task:
Major Upgrade vs. Minor Upgrade vs. Small Update

This help topic also shows which codes need to be changed for each type of upgrade.

I hope that helps.

Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation
0 Kudos