cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MutleyUK
Level 3

Unable to create an upgrade for an existing full install

Hi,

I'd like to create an update for an existing full install EXE. I'd like my 1.0.0.1 update to upgrade any existing 1.0.0.0 install, or install from scratch if necessary.

The problem is I'm struggling to follow the documentation which refers to an Upgrades view which doesn't seem to exist. I'm also confused how I should be creating my update project, i.e. should I create a new project or open up the existing install and choose save as?

Can you someone give me a step-by-step instructions. 😄

Many thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

Are you working on an InstallScript project? InstallScript projects do not have an Upgrades view. (An Upgrades view is available in Basic MSI and InstallScript MSI projects under the Media folder in the View List.)

The two main InstallScript-related help topics in the "Updating Applications" section of the InstallShield Help Library that you'll want to review are:

I hope that helps.

Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation
0 Kudos
MutleyUK
Level 3

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for your help. I've now successfully created an InstallScript update. 🙂

Many thanks.
0 Kudos
wmansur
Level 3

Hi,

Is there something like this for Basic MSI (working with IS 12)? I am trying to over install version 2.0.0123 on top of 2.0.0122 and haven't had much luck. I do have "Generate Package Code" set to YES in the Releases view.

Thanks,

-Walter

DebbieL wrote:
Are you working on an InstallScript project? InstallScript projects do not have an Upgrades view. (An Upgrades view is available in Basic MSI and InstallScript MSI projects under the Media folder in the View List.)

The two main InstallScript-related help topics in the "Updating Applications" section of the InstallShield Help Library that you'll want to review are:

I hope that helps.

Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Walter,

You'll basically need to create and configure a major upgrade node or a small update node in the Upgrades view, since you are using a Basic MSI project (in which Windows Installer controls the upgrade). I recommend reviewing the "Updating Applications" section in the InstallShield Help Library to get started. This section has information that will help you determine which type of upgrade (major, minor, small) will work for your scenario. It also has how-to information.

I hope that helps.

Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation
0 Kudos