cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
krishnaKumar
Level 5

UAC Warning during Uninstall

Hi,

I am using Basic MSI project to build a setup for my project. The Setup is build in Installshield 2008. I also use Digital Signature to sign all my exe. While Installing the application in the Vista environment, it works perfectly and the Vista UAC pops up but it recognizes the software. The message in the UAC during the Installation process is "The product ABC requires your permission to Install" something like that. When i try to Uninstall the application, a UAC pops up but this time it is a warning saying "Unknown programs .......................". What should i do to avoid this warning. I have done the digital signing also for the files. Is there something i am missing ? please help

Warm regards

krishna kumar. P
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
packagechief
Level 5

krishnaKumar wrote:
Hi,

I am using Basic MSI project to build a setup for my project. The Setup is build in Installshield 2008. I also use Digital Signature to sign all my exe. While Installing the application in the Vista environment, it works perfectly and the Vista UAC pops up but it recognizes the software. The message in the UAC during the Installation process is "The product ABC requires your permission to Install" something like that. When i try to Uninstall the application, a UAC pops up but this time it is a warning saying "Unknown programs .......................". What should i do to avoid this warning. I have done the digital signing also for the files. Is there something i am missing ? please help

Warm regards

krishna kumar. P

Have you tried to disable UAC in general? Maybe its also a problem with the digital signatures if not needed i woud disable digital signatures in general.. cause often they cause troubles especially within Windows Vista.. which has some mechanism implemented to avoid direct access to kernel or system..

what about Windows XP ? does there the setup runs correctly?

PS maybe it coud also be an incompatibility beetwen your build (took wrong MSI Settings within the Release Wizard) and the new Windows Installer 4.x

Maybe it helps if you try to reinstall the Windows Installer on the Vista PC
0 Kudos
krishnaKumar
Level 5

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. The Installation and Uninstallation works fine in XP. Even in Vista the uninstallation works fine. The problem is the UAC that pops up. Previously my files were not signed. When the application was Installed in the Vista environment, before the Installation begins, a UAC pops up giving a warning message. We had to click the allow option to continue the Installation. It was then decided to sign our files so that the Customers who installs the application need not confront this Warning message because security-concious user might refuse it. After the signing process, the warning message was replaced by a permission message. The problem now is I face the same Warning UAC during uninstallation.

Please help me on how to proceed further as my development process is getting delayed because of this issue.

Warm Regards

Krishna Kumar. P
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

I believe that this is a known issue. Please see the following blog post for details about the problem:
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/12/03/uac-prompt-from-unidentified-publisher-appears-when-uninstalling-msis-on-windows-vista.aspx

As this post states, "this behavior happens for all MSI-based setup packages on Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 during uninstall."
0 Kudos
krishnaKumar
Level 5

Hi,

Thank you all for your timely reply.

regards,

krishna kumar. P
0 Kudos