cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
westhusing
Level 6

Trying to Extract COM Information

I've been trying to get COM information to extract out of one the DLLs in my Installshield project so that I can include the information in the install rather than having to run regsvr32 on the DLL in a CustomAction.

The Installshield UI doesn't properly refresh the information from the DLL when I go to Advanced Settings-->COM Registration -->Refresh COM Data for Key File.

When I use RegSpyUI.exe to try and look at the DLL, I get an error "ISRegSpy.exe - Entry Point Not Found - The procedure entry point SHGetKnownFolderPath could not be located in the dynamic link library SHELL32.dll".

I'm running IS 2009 on XP SP3, could anyone help me with this error?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I'd suggest checking the dependencies of that .dll using dependency walker. SHGetKnownFolderPath is only available on Vista (per MSDN), and if I'm reading your message correctly, the problem is the .dll requires that API to be available when you load the .dll server.

If your product requires Vista, this is fine, but COM extraction of this .dll will fail anywhere before Vista. If your product doesn't require Vista, this may need to be fixed by the developers of the errant .dll file.
0 Kudos
westhusing
Level 6

Thank you.

This appears to have been the problem. When I extracted the COM info on Vista, everything appears to have worked just fine.
0 Kudos