cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joshabts
Level 2

Trouble with Support File EXE

Hello all,

I am new to InstallShield Pro so, have a little patience with me as I get the hang of it a bit.

I am trying to create a custom action to launch an EXE that is included in a directory under "Support Files". However every time I try running the setup, it errors out and says "Error 1721.There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action:WinDVR Install, location: C:\InstallShield 2009 Projects\...\Setup.exe".

The issue I tried to figure out a bit more by putting in a error to stop the install prior to it and put in the path that I am trying to use to launch the exe and it does report back the correct path. I would like to leave these files in their folder on the support files so that it doesn't go on their computer.

In the custom action I have the working dir set to SETUPEXEDIR and I have filename set to [SETUPEXEDIR]\WinDVR\Setup.exe.

Is there something I am doing wrong or that I can do to get this to run properly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

A 1721 runtime error indicates that the CreateProcess call Windows Installer made to launch the new process failed because the executable didn't load correctly. In most cases this is due to missing dependencies required for the EXE to launch successfully. I'm not sure that is the cause in this case though.

Does this behavior occur on every machine you try running your setup on? Where is your custom action sequenced in your project? Also, under what section in the Support Files view did you add the file to be launched?
0 Kudos