cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
john_straumann
Level 3

The wizard was interrupted???

Hi all:

I am working with a basic MSI project that was running fine, now for some reason when I run it I get a failure with a dialog box that says "The wizard was interrupted before johnzService1 could be completely installed. Your system has not been modified"

Does anyone know how I cna track down what error caused this completely useless dialog box to show up?

John.

Additional info: After searching the forums turned up nothing, I tried a Bing search and found a post on creating a log file when the installer runs. So I did that and got this:

MSI (c) (14:EC) [13:58:31:387]: Product: johnzService1Setup2 -- Configuration failed.

Wow, no kidding! Why are the error messages so useless?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

A verbose log should be able to determine what the cause of the error was. You can create a log with one of the following command lines:
setup.exe /v"/l*v C:\PathToLog\LogFile.log"

-- or --
msiexec.exe /I C:\PathToMsi\MsiPackage.msi /l*v C:\PathToLog\LogFile.log

Searching the log for 'return value 3' may be able to identify what action was running when the error occurred.
0 Kudos
john_straumann
Level 3

Thanks for your reply. Searching for return value 3 showed the erro as coming from my custom action, but I already knew that becuase if I remove the action the install works. I still have no idea WHY the error is happening.

The functions are pasted below, and the Custom Action calls teh WriteEvent function.

unction WriteEvent(hMSI)
begin
WriteToLog( "C:\\Temp", "johnzServiceSetupLog.log", "Testing");
end;

function WriteToLog( sDirectory, sFile, sEntry )

NUMBER nvFileHandle;
NUMBER nCheck;
STRING sDate, sTime, sLine;
NUMBER nDate, nTime;

begin

OpenFileMode( FILE_MODE_APPEND );
if ( Is( FILE_EXISTS, sDirectory ^ sFile ) ) then
else
CreateFile (nvFileHandle, sDirectory, sFile);
endif;

if ( OpenFile( nvFileHandle, sDirectory, sFile ) < 0 ) then
else
GetSystemInfo (DATE, nDate, sDate );
GetSystemInfo (TIME, nTime, sTime);
sLine = sDate + " " + sTime + " " + sEntry;
WriteLine( nvFileHandle, sLine );
CloseFile( nvFileHandle );
endif;
end;
0 Kudos
mumbles
Level 7

What sequence is this running in?

Since you are modifying the target machine, this should be a 'deferred custom action' maybe you have it set to immediate?

Generally you'll want to install in the 'Install exex sequence' and run after 'Cost Finalize'.
0 Kudos