cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gwynbleid
Level 3

The MSI properties are not get evaluated when passing by MSIEXEC utility

Hello Community,

I'm using 2 installation packages in my installation program: one (setup.exe) contains UI and gathers information from the user and the target system, second (sitecore.msi) actually installs the product. At the final step, the UI part calls the MSIEXEC utility, passes it Sitecore.msi as a package name, list of arguments and closes itself. (This was done deliberately: I can't merge these 2 parts into one because of the requirement for multiple product installation)

Now, the problem: some properties (both mine and IS standard) are not get evaluated when passing to the second package. Let me explain: I have both logs. In the UI log I can find the line
Property(C): IS_SQLSERVER_SERVER = SVR-SQL0
which means that the server name was set to correct value.
But in the second install log I see the following:
Command Line: ... IS_SQLSERVER_SERVER= ...

The name wasn't passed to the second package by MSIEXEC! And as a result, my sql script fails, because it can't find such server!

This is the first time I faced with such an error during approx. 2 years of supporting this project. Hence, it is quite rare and I know it is something wrong with the environment. I have both verbose logs from that environment.
Where should I look in order to locate the reason? Do you have any other suggestions?
(P.S. I have no access to that environment, just logs and stable scenario)

I would appreciate any hint.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Does it make any difference if you manually launch the second MSI and pass in that property value? Is IS_SQLSERVER_SERVER (and any other public property you want to pass in) included in the value of SecureCustomProperties?
0 Kudos
Gwynbleid
Level 3

Thanks for a quick feedback, Robert!

>> Does it make any difference if you manually launch the second MSI and pass in that property value?

Don't know, actually. I don't have the access to that problematic environment, hence I need some time to communitcate to the client, obtain remote access, etc. I'll get back with the info when I have it.

>> Is IS_SQLSERVER_SERVER (and any other public property you want to pass in) included in the value of SecureCustomProperties?

It is not. Should it?

I have just thought about the reason some properties are "broken", while others are not. I've looked through the log file again and here's what I've found:

Only the properties which are related to the system information got "obfuscated", such as:
IS_SQLSERVER_SERVER (became )
IS_SQLSERVER_USERNAME (became )
"Current user" (became )

Even the following is the case: I concat a property value out of several parts and receive

SC_IUSRNAME = SCISYS\IUSR_.

It made me think that it could be a kind of domain policy to protect certain data. I hope it gives you extra hint.

Thanks again for assistance!
0 Kudos