cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aspmonkey
Level 2

Text file change not working

I'm trying to modify a bunch of web.config settings based on user response and trying to utilize the built-in text file changes process. I set the name of my edit boxes into property manager with blank values and then set the replace with to the edit controls name but the replacement does not function. Is there a better way to pass the user's info at runtime? I tried the xml file change as well but IS barfs when I try to load it.

Thanks for any help!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

Which project type are you using? And did you use the property in a dialog somewhere, to allow end users to specify the value? Is the property name that you are using a public property (that is, all uppercase)?

Here's a help topic that explains how to use properties with text file changes:
Using Windows Installer Properties to Dynamically Modify Text Files
0 Kudos
aspmonkey
Level 2

I'm currently trying this in a regular MSI (but have tried MSI IS and IS as well). I don't see the setup.rul listed in the installscript section. I have a edit control named editSMTP and the property is set to SMTPSERVER; this is the control that I'm prompting the user for input.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

It sounds like you are using a Basic MSI project.

I don't think I understand why you are looking for a Setup.rul file. Are you trying to follow the instructions in the Using Windows Installer Properties to Dynamically Modify Text Files help topic? The Basic MSI instructions in that help topic do not involve using a Setup.rul. file.

Can you post screen shots that show how you have the changes configured in the Text File Changes view?
0 Kudos