cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mcheshier
Level 3

Text area not displaying property on SetupCompleteError screen

I'm trying to display error messages that are being inserted into properties by C# custom actions (I'm using the DTF). I've made a property named INSTALLFAILMESSAGE and set it to 'Test message' in the property manager.

I've created a text area on the SetupCompleteError screen and pointed the Property at INSTALLFAILMESSAGE and set the text to [INSTALLFAILMESSAGE]. As my code runs, this property is reset - here's the snippet from the MSI log:

MSI (s) (4C!14) [06:46:28:501]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Modifying INSTALLFAILMESSAGE property. Its current value is 'Test message'. Its new value: 'Error creating the database.'.

The function then returns a failure, and the MSI property dump at the end of the MSI log shows:

Property(S): INSTALLFAILMESSAGE = Error creating the database.

However, all that is shown is Test message, or whatever I set the property to initially.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here... any ideas?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

If this dialog is already visible when the property is changed, the only changes that will affect its text are set-property control events. So either involve one of those somehow, or make sure to show the dialog after the property is changed.
0 Kudos
mcheshier
Level 3

MichaelU wrote:
If this dialog is already visible when the property is changed, the only changes that will affect its text are set-property control events. So either involve one of those somehow, or make sure to show the dialog after the property is changed.

I don't think it's that - according to the log timestamps, the property was modified at 07:12:03:001 and the SetupCompleteError action isn't executed until 07:12:03:422. I think the problem is that I'm setting the property in the Execute sequence, but I'm trying to access it in the UI sequence. I'm assuming to work around this I need to fire off a custom action before the SetupCompleteError dialog appears that will reset the property. Now if I can just figure out where that would be...
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Right, properties don't flow back uphill from the Execute sequence to the UI sequence. Perhaps after ExecuteAction, if possible?
0 Kudos
mcheshier
Level 3

RobertDickau wrote:
Right, properties don't flow back uphill from the Execute sequence to the UI sequence. Perhaps after ExecuteAction, if possible?
I tried that, but the VBScript test action I made to set the property doesn't fire off if I have it after the ExecuteAction. It's looking like what I want to do just may not be possible.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

The action doesn't run at all? Does the log file say anything about it?
0 Kudos
mcheshier
Level 3

RobertDickau wrote:
The action doesn't run at all? Does the log file say anything about it?
Nothing in the log. It just doesn't execute.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Hmmm, as a test, an immediate VBScript action with just MsgBox("Hi") in it, scheduled after ExecuteAction, seems to work. Does something like that show up in your project?
0 Kudos