cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

System search

Basic MSI project, IS 2010.

I need to search the target system for a MSI package code.

I know the package code and based on if this was or not previously installed I have to make some choices.

Thanks,
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Package code or product code? If product code, you can set up a detect-only major upgrade item. Otherwise, I'm not aware of a built-in search type for package codes.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Product code could be useful too.

But I don't know what you mean by "detect-only major upgrade item". Please give me more details.

The package/product I'm looking for has nothing to do with my Basic MSI, it's an external product.

What I want is something similar to checking for a prerequisite.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

If you know the upgrade code value of the external installed product, you can use InstallShield's Media > Upgrades view to create a major-upgrade item that uses the advanced "detect only" setting. (Equivalently, you can create records in the Upgrade table using the Direct Editor view.) At run time, the FindRelatedProducts action will populate a property whose name you define if the corresponding product exists on the target system, and you can use that property in a condition.

For the same general idea involving a related task, see the help topic "Preventing the Current Installation from Overwriting a Future Major Version of the Same Product".
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Thanks for the details.

It sounds way too complicated for what I need, but I'll give it a look.
Hopefuly I should be able to use something simpler.

Thanks,
Ioan
0 Kudos