cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wiggers
Level 7

Suite setup.exe error 0x80070057 RegistryExists

As soon as I run a new Suite I've just built I get an obscure-looking error dialog (attached) with the type and error number above. I have set a condition:

Exit Conditions > Exit Message ("Excel must be installed first") > None > Registry Exists > Registry Key ("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xls")

If this condition is true (key not found) then I should get the message. If it is false then the installation should continue. Or have I misunderstood how this works?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

From the inline help for the Registry Key field, you should be using the abbreviation HKLM instead of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Thus your final key should be: HKLM\.xls; perhaps we can make a future version of the IDE fix this up automatically.
0 Kudos
wiggers
Level 7

So, it's designed to fail if you copy-and-paste a key from the registry editor. Brilliant!
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

MichaelU wrote:
... Thus your final key should be: HKLM\.xls; perhaps we can make a future version of the IDE fix this up automatically.

Michael, I would vote for that as I have been stung by that too!
0 Kudos
wiggers
Level 7

At the very least the build should fail if there's an invalid registry root.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I can only hope we weren't trying to just save a few bytes in the built output; even knowing what the error meant (bad input), I had to look in the IDE to figure out why the string that looked right was wrong. So totally agreed; we need build-time validation (and ideally design-time fixes) here.
0 Kudos