cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kmoulton
Level 6

Suite / Advanced UI setups crash on Windows XP SP3 -- Is there a fix for this?

I am running two installs created out of the same Suite / Advanced UI project and a separate install created from a different Suite / Advanced UI project. All three are crashing on Windows XP SP3 with the same issue.

They are displaying the error shown below.

Caption: Setup.exe - Entry Point Not Found

Message: The procedure entry point InitializeCriticalSectionEx could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll.

Is this a known issue? Is there a Hot Fix for this?

The URL below talks about this issue. I don't know if it is related to the version of Visual Studio that is used to create InstallShield, but I suppose it could be.

https://tedwvc.wordpress.com/2013/04/14/how-to-get-visual-c-2012-update-2-statically-linked-applications-to-run-on-windows-xp/

Thanks,

-- Kim Moulton
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
kmoulton
Level 6

I thought I would flesh this issue out a little more. The error message always occurs when I run these installs on Windows XP.

However, the crash only occurs if I use Extension Condition DLLs. If I remove the DLLs, the crash doesn't occur, but I still get the error message displayed in the first post.

The Extension Condition DLL crash is shown in the attached file.

InstallShield 2014 didn't have any problem with these DLLs on Windows XP. It also didn't display the error message.

Our application is not supported on Windows XP, but it would be nice to gracefully tell our users that it isn't supported.

Thanks,

--Kim
0 Kudos
kmoulton
Level 6

This same issue is occurring on Windows Server 2003.
0 Kudos
Roman1
Level 9

Requirements get from Microsoft MSDN:

InitializeCriticalSectionEx

Minimum supported client
-- Windows Vista [desktop apps | Windows Store apps]

Minimum supported server
-- Windows Server 2008 [desktop apps | Windows Store apps]

Minimum supported phone
-- Windows Phone 8
0 Kudos
kmoulton
Level 6

Thanks.

However, this same code worked in InstallShield 2014, so what happened?

I would expect it to work in InstallShield 2015.

Thanks,

--Kim
0 Kudos