cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
prashantlade
Level 4

Strange bug after product uninstall

Hi,

Let me give a little bit of background on the issue.

I have packaged our product using InstallShield 2008 with InstallScript project for 32 bit and 64 bit. Actually, 64 bit product has a mixed set of binaries. Some are 32 bit and some are 64 bit. I managed to deploy things correctly. I am facing a weird issue on 32 bit system. After product is uninstalled, client is getting following error everytime he tries to open a file explorer or right mouse button for doing any activity. This is so very irritating. This happens on quite a few machines but definitely not on all the machine. I am unable to identify how this happens and what could be the relation with our installer. Please see attachment for the error window. Interesting thing is, if my product is reinstalled again, this problem disappears. And this makes things difficult for me. Now client says that this happens through my product!!!

I am also packaging some MSI installers in my installer to deploy on client machines based on the need i.e. .NET runtime if it doesn't exist, Windows installer 3.1 if it doesn't exist etc etc...However, I am not able to understand how this can lead such beavior.

Is there any registry key or something which controls such behaviour? This may not be a direct issue of installshield. but needs resolution in the installshield project.

Can anybody (Windows expert/Installshield expert) guide me to resolve this?

Regards
Prashant
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

Can you check the Event Viewer? It logs events where Windows Installer (logged as the MsiInstaller source) is trying to reinstall or repair something. That would help in troubleshooting the issue.
0 Kudos
prashantlade
Level 4

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions...
I have the event log file but unable to understand anything out of this. Could you please help me in understanding the issue with the attached log file?

Thanks for your patience.

Regards
Prashant Lade
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

The file C:\Windows\system32\Spool\Drivers\W32X86\PSCRIPT5.dll seems to be missing. (This was installed by product {AC76BA86-1033-0000-BA7E-100000000002}, in feature Distiller, component {4E57287A-4975-48CC-9DAF-5D93F4AB88C2}.) The repair is being triggered because of an advertised entry point being invoked (likely a COM CLSID registered through the Class table from the MSI that installed product {AC76BA86-1033-0000-BA7E-100000000002}) from a component in the feature PDFMakerForIE in product {AC76BA86-1033-0000-BA7E-100000000002}.

The repair needs to be completed successfully to stop Windows Installer from constantly popping up.

Does your installation install C:\Windows\system32\Spool\Drivers\W32X86\PSCRIPT5.dll?
0 Kudos
prashantlade
Level 4

Thanks Mate!!

Your explaination looks very promising. I am installing a few printer drivers in my product and therefore I am installing the same DLL through my product. But at the end of uninstall, I am removing all the files deployed by me. Therefore, this DLL in question is deleted from my code.

Now it looks like the Adobe product is searching for the same file while reinstalling their drivers. Am I right?

However, one question still remains - If I stop deleting this DLL, will the reinstall process (advertised) stop popping up the warning dialog?

In any case, I will remove the code to delete this DLL and test on client machine.

Again, thanks for sharing.

Regards
Prashant Lade
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Basically, according to validation rule ICE09, files that are installed to the System folder are considered to be important files, and they should not be uninstalled. They should be permanently left on the target system.

If you stop deleting that file during uninstallation, Windows Installer will no longer try to repair the other product that is also installed and that uses that same file.
0 Kudos
prashantlade
Level 4

Debbie,

Thanks for the detailed explaination.
I provided a local build for testing to QA and QA told that the issue is resolved. I will submit my code changes in the build system. This was a good insight into the system and I am thankful to you for providing the solution.

This issue is closed from my side. Hope this information is useful for other members as well.

Regards
Prashant Lade
0 Kudos