cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
omidkrad
Level 4

Strange behaviour when installing per user

I want to make the setup to install per user rather than for local machine. So based on KB Q105063 I set ALLUSERS. Apparently there are two ALLUSERS variables (the InstallScript ALLUSERS variable and the MSI ALLUSERS property) I have tried the followings:

1. Do not set ALLUSERS

In this case unlike what is said in KB Q105063 it installs for local machine and the registry key goes under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

2. Set the ALLUSERS property in Property Manager with an empty value. (I suppose this is how to set it to NULL)

Installs for Local Machine (all users)

3. Set the ALLUSERS property in Property Manager to NULL. (I think this sets it to string "NULL", but I had to try)

4. In the InstallScript use MsiSetProperty(ISMSI_HANDLE, "ALLUSERS", "");

5. In the InstallScript set ALLUSERS=FALSE

Installs for user A and the registry key goes under HKEY_CURRENT_USER as expected. Then for user B allows installing in a new directory but depending on the selected features leaves the selected directory empty and overwrites the installation of user A!! Or installs the diff of features selected for user A and user B in the installation path of user B!! When uninstalled by each user uninstalls from both places.

6. In the InstallScript set ALLUSERS=NULL

Same as above.

7. In the InstallScript set ALLUSERS=0

Same as above.

So how should I make it work?

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
omidkrad
Level 4

Any ideas how to fix this? I'd appreciate your help.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

For reference, the value NULL means enter no value in the scope of the property manager / property table. Entering NULL will set the property to the literal "NULL" as you found.

What project type are you using?
0 Kudos
omidkrad
Level 4

The project type is InstallScript MSI.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Not applicable

0 Kudos
omidkrad
Level 4

My test machines are Windows Servier 2003 Enterprise SP2. Thanks for the link anyways.
0 Kudos