cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wcrackshot78
Level 2

Stop install if folder/file exists

I am looking at being able to have my install look in the folder that that was specified at the start of the install and if a particular folder or file exists then stop the install process and give a particular message. The folder or file will be located in the same directory that is chosen by the user to install the software into. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
rrinblue22
Level 9

since you have mentioned that user can choose the destination which means the install is already in UI sequence.
In this case you can only reply on custom actions (InstallScript ) to achieve your task.
0 Kudos
wcrackshot78
Level 2

So what your saying is I can only do this as a custom action. I'm guessing that I would have to put this custom action high up in the execute order in order to stop the installation before any actions are taken to copy the files over to the computer in question. Would I do this after the execute action of SetARPinstalllocation? My next question would be what is the variable name for the installation path and can that variable even be used in a script and can I even use a script to stop the installation of the software and to kick off a dialog box?

I am very new to this application so a lot of this stuff is alien to me.
0 Kudos
rrinblue22
Level 9

Before getting into custom actions have you tried System Search to look for file (unique) on the entire system and abort the install as an Install condition?

I just re-read your post and I feel system search view is the best option.
0 Kudos