cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gridman
Level 8

Standard Patch confusion

I am working with some asic MSI projects.

I have an original installation version 1.0 that installs and uinstalls just fine. I also have a minor upgrade version 1.2 that installs and uninstalls fine.
I have made a standard patch from the minor upgrade 1.2 and that also works. I referenced the version 1.0 installation as the previous and the version 1.2 minor upgrade as the latest.

Finally, I have a minor upgrade version 1.3 that I have created a patch from. Here I referenced version 1.3 as the latest and version 1.2 as the previous.

Here's the problem. I install the original app version 1.0, then install the version 1.2 patch and that all works. But if I try to install the version 1.3 patch of top of the 1.2 patched version, it says that a patch has already been installed and won't let me do it.

I have two questions:

1) I thought the idea behind patches was that you could keep releasing them, as long as they had successive version numbers?

2) For the version 1.3 patch, should I have referenced the version 1.3 minor upgrade as the latest, and the original install version 1.0 as the previous?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
gridman
Level 8

I am receiving a 1328 error when I try to apply the version 1.2 to 1.3 patch. So, I am looking into knowledge base articles on this right now. Seems to be a common problem when applying patches over patches.
0 Kudos