cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rfitzpat
Level 4

SplashTime = nothing in IS2008

I am building installscript installs with IS2008, and the splash screen only displays for a half second.
In the setup.ini under the [Startup] Section is ‘SplashTime=’ keyword, the InstallShield 10.5 version defaulted to 5 seconds, the new 2008 version does not put a value. The help recommends you create a bat file or an executable to edit your setup.ini file each time you build as a post step. There should be a better way. Possible a template file used by IS to create the setpu.ini.

How can I have all installs build with a 5 second splashtime like all my old installs (5.x, 6.x, 9.x 10.5)?

Because of this change, I am being questioned why we upgraded to IS2008.

Thanks,
Robert

From InstallShield Help:
The SplashTime keyname specifies the length of time (in seconds) for which the startup graphic is displayed.
--
During building the media, on the User Interface Panel, you can check to display small initialization dialog or large dialog
If checked, the setup initialization dialog box is the small box that was shown by setups created with InstallShield Professional version 6.31 and earlier—unless the setup displays a security, Save And/or Run Setup, Choose Setup Language, or Qualifying Product(s) Detected dialog box, in which case the setup initialization dialog box is larger and is consistent with the rest of the end user dialog boxes, regardless of the state of this check box. If unchecked, the setup initialization dialog box is larger and is consistent with the rest of the end user dialog boxes.
If this check box is unchecked, the setup initialization dialog box (and the Choose Setup Language dialog box, if any) are not displayed until the startup graphic closes. To specify the length of time for which the startup graphic displays, set Setup.ini’s [Startup] section’s SplashTime value.
--
If you want to customize setup.ini further, modify it with a text editor. You can automate this process by using the Postbuild Options panel of the Release Wizard or the Execute Batch File property in the Releases view to launch a batch file or executable file that performs the desired modifications. Do not simply overwrite setup.ini with a modified copy from a previous media build; doing so could cause your installation to work improperly.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

InstallShield 2008 includes a new Minimum Initialization Time setting on the Setup.exe tab for a release in the Releases view. InstallShield uses the value that you specify for this setting as the value of the SplashTime keyname in the Setup.ini file. I think that specifying 5 seconds (or whatever minimum number of seconds seems appropriate in your case) in this Minimum Initialization Time setting should solve the issue for you. The help that is displayed in the lower right pane when you click this setting includes some more details.

The help text that you quoted is outdated. This is logged as issue IOC-000005573.

I hope that helps.

Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation
0 Kudos
rfitzpat
Level 4

Thanks Debbie Landers, it did help.
I also found the anwser in the Release notes.

In you IntallShield IDE, be at the Installation Desinger tab, in the first column expand Media, select Releases. In the second column select your current release you are building, in the third column select the setup.exe tab, there is a Minimum Initialization Time you can set so your SplashTime gets this value.
All the Help I quoted was from my IS2008 install.

Thanks...

(IS2008 Release Notes)
Ability to Specify the Minimum Initialization Time
InstallShield includes a new Minimum Initialization Time setting on the Setup.exe tab for a release in the Releases view. Use this setting to specify the minimum number of seconds that the installation should display the initialization dialog when end users run this release. InstallShield uses the value that you specify for this setting as the value of the SplashTime keyname in the Setup.ini file.
This enhancement resolves issue IOC-000005571
Thanks for Robert Dickau’ sticky : Migrating Projects from pre-InstallShield 12
0 Kudos