cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DLee65
Level 13

Specifying the /v more than once - Why?

I am reading through the release notes for IS2009 and have a question about one of the new enhancements.

Ability to Use the /v Command-Line Parameter More than Once to Pass More than One Parameter from Setup.exe to the .msi File

If you want to pass more than one argument to Msiexec.exe, you can use the /v option multiple times at the command line, once for each argument. Previously, the /v option could be used only once, and all parameters were passed through this instance.

The following project types include support for this enhancement: Basic MSI, InstallScript MSI, and Web.

This enhancement resolves issue IOC-000060083.

What is the story behind this feature? Why would you need to use the /v more than once on a command line? Thanks.

BTW - Debbie, I am not sure if you were responsible for the release notes but I must admit that whoever worked on them did an excellent job. Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

We added that functionality because it sometimes gets a little tricky when you need to pass multiple parameters through /v, especially if you need to use quotes. It often leads to typos—forgetting one of the quote marks, misplacing one, getting the spaces in the right place, or whatever. By allowing the /v parameter to be passed more than once, users can hopefully avoid some of the common problems.

The old style (using the /v parameter only once and passing all of the parameters through it) still works. So, deciding which style to use is just a matter of personal preference.

Debbie Landers
Acresso Software

P.S. Thanks! I did write the descriptions in the release notes. I got a lot of great feedback and help from developers who are much smarter than me. 🙂
0 Kudos
DLee65
Level 13

Ahhh, yes. I too have been caught by the missing quotes when trying to handle PROPERTY values that include spaces. :rolleyes:
0 Kudos