cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mr__Fantastic
Level 3

Spanning Disk Problem

When I build my installer it gets put into the following directory:

C:\InstallShield 2008 Projects\OurInstaller\PROJECT_ASSISTANT\SINGLE_MSI_IMAGE\DiskImages

In the "DiskImages" folder there are 2 disk folders. When I do an install test locally, it seems that the setup.exe from disk1 only detects that cabinet files from that folder and not the ones in disk2. So the installer warns me that it cannot find the cabinet files because they are on disk2, not disk1.

Am I missing a setting? We will need to have our product on multiple disk. Any input appreciated.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

The Limitations section of the help topic "Spanning Installations over Multiple Disks or CDs" mentions that multi-CD installers don't work from fixed drives, presumably due to the way MSI refers to source locations. It seems you'll need to test from the images burned onto CDs...
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

P.S. You'll also want to make sure your CDs are burned with the same volume names used in the Media table, by default DISK1, DISK2, etc., and configurable in the Release Wizard.

Searching the docs and these forums for "VolumeLabel" will explain what's going on.
0 Kudos
Mr__Fantastic
Level 3

Hmm that's unfortunate. Thank you for pointing out the limitation, I'll update our testing procedures and build notes.
0 Kudos
Mr__Fantastic
Level 3

RobertDickau wrote:
P.S. You'll also want to make sure your CDs are burned with the same volume names used in the Media table, by default DISK1, DISK2, etc., and configurable in the Release Wizard.

Searching the docs and these forums for "VolumeLabel" will explain what's going on.

Thank you. Adding to our build notes.
0 Kudos