cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dlacoste
Level 4

Solaris "setupSolaris.bin" install launcher

OK, this is an issue with the launcher for the installer.

as in "if I do java -cp setup.jar run" everything is fine, so this is NOT, I repeat NOT an issue of the installer, just the shell script that runs the installer.

I've tried using -is:log to no avail: it says it can't find any jvms.

This is a new Solaris 10 install, with JDK 1.5.10 installed. As I said, the java that's on the system (and in the system path) works fine!

Log file created by MultiPlatform installer @Thu Jul 12 17:44:09 PDT 2007
INSTALLER_PATH=/tmp/dana/./setupSolaris.bin
Checking the environment variables specifed in the JVM files to find the JVM...
Verifying... /bin/java -cp /tmp/istemp10027193174408/Verify.jar Verify java.vendor java.version
Verifying... /usr/bin/java -cp /tmp/istemp10027193174408/Verify.jar Verify java.vendor java.version
Verifying... /bin/java -cp /tmp/istemp10027193174408/Verify.jar Verify java.vendor java.version
Verifying... /usr/bin/java -cp /tmp/istemp10027193174408/Verify.jar Verify java.vendor java.version
No JVM can be found using the shell environment variable. Searching JVM will continue with Path Hints specified in the JVM Files...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Searching a JVM using /tmp/istemp10027193174408/sun.jre.1.5.0.solaris.jvm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Searching a JVM using /tmp/istemp10027193174408/sun.jre.1.5X.solaris.jvm

HINTS:

- unzip -t /tmp/istemp10027193174408/Verify.jar SHOWS AN INVALID Verify.jar. Similarly, running java -cp Verify.jar Verify gives "Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Verify"

Any suggestions? I've seen many many people complain about similar problems, and everything seems fine on other platforms, but I've seen this on and off more or less for a year (I'm just posting now because I'm seeing it reproducably on my account, not just on other accounts.....)
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
enanrum
Level 9

Its a bug with installing on UNIX in general; if you are searching for a JVM, the installer will search your PATH variable - if you have PATH = (/bin, /usr, /blah, /blah,..) and you have a /bin/java the installer will fail because it thinks the /bin is the /bin of the JVM installation on that system!

I was running into this and was banging my head for weeks when I said F it and stopped doing searches and only use a bundled JVM! After talking with someone from IS Support - not for this issue; I brought this up to him and he said that it is an issue!

What really sucks about it is you would think that if you do a search and have a bundled JVM, if there is any error with the searched JVM's, it would use the Bundled one! But nope!

So the only way around it is to set the JAVAHOME var then rerun the installer! Or change the position of the /bin in the path! For testing purposes, remove the /bin from the path and do a which java, then put the /bin after that path if it finds it!

Ugly!

Regards,
Tom
0 Kudos
dlacoste
Level 4

So, it looks like this is what I'll end up doing:

re-write setupSolaris.bin with one of the following options:

[LIST=1]
  • Throw away the macrovision code

• Check for java in the path (or in JAVA_HOME)
    • call "java -cp setup.jar run"

• Prepend the macrovision code

• Check for java in known locations (or for properly set JAVA_HOME)
    • set JAVA_HOME
    • continue with script

Either way, it looks like someone failed big time here. Solaris is the ONLY platform where I'm pretty much guaranteed to have a known good java: how can it be the one that's most screwed up????
  • 0 Kudos
    dlacoste
    Level 4

I posted a solution to this issue in a new thread entitled "How to make solaris work"

Tedious and annoying, but it works now 🙂
    0 Kudos