cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sajidr
Level 3

Silently Adding/Removing Features - In either Basic MSI or InstallScript MSI Projects

Currently, I have an InstallScript MSI project with 4 top-level features that correspond to related applications. I'd like to be able to silently install or uninstall any combination of the 4 features. I don't think it'd be very smart to generate 15 Setup.iss response files for installations and 15 Setup.iss response files for uninstallations. Is there a smarter way of doing this while maintaining an InstallScript MSI project?

Would converting to a Basic MSI project allow me to do feature by feature installation/uninstallation via msiexec.exe? From what I've read, this seems to be the case, but I'd appreciate any feedback on that.

My basic problem is that I've been asked to use an InstallAywhere generated setup to drive the installation of our Java and Windows applications. I can't do the reverse (I've been forbidden from doing so). We'll be duplicating the UI in our InstallAnywhere installer where selection of features in its UI will correspond to the installation of various features found in our Windows MSI/Setup.exe.

Any feedback / sharing of prior crazy experiences would be appreciated.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

For Basic MSI, anyway, you can set the ADDLOCAL and REMOVE properties to control what components are installed or removed.
0 Kudos
sajidr
Level 3

Thanks for the feedback. That's pretty much what I'm going to do with our new project, i.e, use ADDLOCAL with a basic MSI project.

Any thoughts on how to uninstall an existing InstallScript MSI (Setup.exe) based project without bundling the original Setup.exe and multiple ISS files? I've thought about using WMI + JScript, not sure that'll give me exactly what I want.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Are you trying to uninstall the earlier version from a newer installation? If so, I haven't tried it for a while, but would a major upgrade work?
0 Kudos
sajidr
Level 3

I've started to look at that route. Seems promising to uninstall 4 old products via major-upgrades. Now, if I could only get those major upgrades to work 🙂

**EDIT

The upgrades weren't working as a result of a programmer/self-inflicted error combined with a lack of understanding. When I created the upgrades, I checked the "Any earlier version" option in the UI. I assumed the generated installer would upgrade any versions of the products to be installed. That's not the case, it's really any earlier version as compared to the version of the current product that's being installed (make's sense). My current product is v 1.0 (a unified version of several old components). My old products have higher versions, e.g., 6.128.4567. Sigh

I'm going with a brute force major upgrade manually specifying versions to upgrade including: 000.000.00000.0000 through 255.255.65535.1023. That pretty guarantees uinstallation of my related products.

On a related topic, one of the products I'm trying to uninstall/upgrade is an InstallScript MSI project created in InstallShield Developer 8. The following KB http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q112578 pretty much states that you have to jury-rig a Major-Upgrade of an InstallScript MSI project via a "UI" custom action. That doesn't sound really Kosher to me. Any alternatives or thoughts?
0 Kudos