cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Silent Install - But backup folders first with Custom Action

As part of my Basic MSI Project, one of the requirements is to backup folders before installing - this has been achieved via a custom action and works when the GUI is shown.

However, another requirement is to have the ability to install silently. This fails at the point the custom action occurrs.

I have read up on deferring custom actions, but I believe these only run after the files have been moved!! Which obviously does not work for me.

Can anyone suggest a way of achieving this?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Deferred mode is indeed when data transfer or removal is taking place, but it's made up of many steps. Perhaps try an appropriately conditioned deferred custom action that runs before, say, RemoveFiles?
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

So for this to work I would also have to change "In-Script Execution" to be deferred?

If so how will this change the way in which the Custom Action is called when using the UI?
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

If you want the action to run for both silent and UI installations, you might move the action to the Execute sequence and change it to deferred execution. In general, deferred mode is strongly recommended for any actions that touch the target system; the UI sequence and immediate mode are for gathering information but not making system changes.
0 Kudos