cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
honolua
Level 7

Sibling Features?

Project Type: Basic MSI

I don't think this is possible, but can I create a feature that requires a sibling feature? We have multiple features that each use the same set of DLLs. I'd like to split them up for easier maintenance so I don't have to maintain two (or more) sets of the same exact thing just because the two main features can be installed independent of each other. The InstallScript MSI project type calls this "Required Features". Does the Basic MSI project type have this same functionality somehow? I do not mean parent/child relationship, either. I want a visible root-level feature to be able to grab another (hidden) root-level feature when the visible one is selected.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I agree that this does not sound possible as stated: a feature cannot require one of its siblings or cousins. You could certainly split a visible feature into any number of hidden children for organizational purposes. Or, depending on their contents as advertisement has problems with this, you can attach components to multiple features. The latter sounds a little closer to what you want - it wouldn't matter which of the two features associated with the component was selected, nor would it hurt if they both were - but again, it can cause problems if those components contain advertised data.
0 Kudos
honolua
Level 7

Yeah, I currently have one component attached to multiple features. But it's a growing bit of tedious work. Every time we add new files (which right now is frequent) I have to manually adjust the file list of all the features to attach the same components to multiple features. A "Required Feature" function like that of the InstallScript MSI project type would fix the tediousness quite nicely.
0 Kudos