cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rcatwork
Level 4

Shown UI in English instead of Traditional Chinese when Region is set to Hong Kong

Our installation UI is in English when the Windows locale is set to Hong Kong. Is there a way to make it display Traditional Chinese instead? Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
Not applicable

UI language depend on the property of Windows(Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options, then select Advanced tab, Language for non-Unicode programs set to Chinese(Hong Kong S.A.R) )

Before this, your installation need to support Traditional Chinese firstly.

Hope this help to you.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

This is partially controlled by the values in setup.ini related to languages 0404 and 0804 (traditional and simplified, respectively) because of the important political implications (and also technical implications, historically) of showing the incorrect language. Normally languages fall back along a shared value (the "04" in this case, corresponding to Hong Kong's 0C04), but we suppress this for the Chinese languages. Build an uncompressed setup in order to see these values; if your eventual setup must be compressed, you can tweak these values with setupini.exe (available on our KB).
0 Kudos
rmahaffey
Level 3

Having similar issue, past products using InstallShield 10.5 will show UI in Traditional Chinese with Hong Kong region setting on Windows 7. Now that I'm using InstallShield 2010 the UI is in English since Windows 7 default region setting is Hong Kong. Not sure how we are supposed to workaround this in the setup.ini programatically?
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I'm not quite sure what you mean by programmatically, but you can change the defaults in \Support\setup.ini - look for the [Languages] RequireExactLanguageMatch key.
0 Kudos
rmahaffey
Level 3

OK, I see, thanks. However I can't change that file on a community build machine that builds multiple projects. I'll have to use some type of post-build process to parse the setup.ini file.

I'm assuming if I comment out the following line it will solve the issue of English displaying with Hong Kong region setting with InstallShield 2010?

[Languages]
;RequireExactLangMatch=0x0404,0x0804
0 Kudos
rcatwork
Level 4

Is there a way to modify the ism file so the generated setup.ini will be

RequireExactLangMatch=

instead of

RequireExactLangMatch=0x0404,0x0804

I don't want to have to modify the setup.ini each time I build the installer.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
KeithTX
Level 2

I'm struggling with this same problem. Installshield 2012 Spring version, Basic MSI. The language options have both Traditional and Simplified Chinese checked & localized. Installing on a Hong Kong Chinese system displays English, no matter what I do. The only thing that works is the /L1028 command line parameter, but that is not an option.

I tried dynamically setting the process UI language and ProductLanguage (to 1028/x404) in the first UI custom action, but that has no effect.

Why is this so hard? Why can't the setup.exe use the user's preferred UI language and be done with it? This is 2013, now. When there's a logged in user with a regional setting established, that should be what's displayed. If Traditional Chinese (zh-TW) is not allowed to be a fallback in this region for some reason, how do I add support for zh-HK (0xC04) in the installer, so the user gets to see what they want?
0 Kudos