cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bill_long
Level 3

Shortcut problem on XP targets

We have been updating a lot of our customers using the new Spring Express 2012. For XP machines we are consistently running into a problem where the desktop shortcut is either not created at all, or it is created using a generic Windows icon. This problem does not occur on Vista or Windows 7 target machines.

I have checked the icon source in the InstallShield for correctness and everything looks fine.

Any ideas how to correct this?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

If you turn off the Show Add or Remove Programs Entry setting in the General Information view, make sure that you have Windows Installer 4.5 installed on your target machine by running the following command-line:

C:\> msiexec /?

There is an issue that the previous versions of Windows Installer do not set the icon properties correctly unless you register your product's entry in the Add or Remove Programs in the Control Panel. You may want to use the Redistributables view to add the InstallShield prerequisite for the Widnows Installer 4.5 to your installation in order to ensure that shortcut icons are installed properly on XP machines.

Hope that helps.
0 Kudos
bill_long
Level 3

Thanks so much
0 Kudos
dsamworth
Level 2

Hi,

I have the same problem and came across this thread. I've included the Windows Installer 4.5 for SP2 and greater and when that failed, tried additionally including the Windows Installer 4.5 update for Win XP SP3 and greater but I still have the problem.

The pre-requisite redistributables have been set to extract from Setup.exe and are installed as part of the installation routine and the computer reboots after installing Windows Installer 4.5 for XP SP2 and greater.

When the installation is running, I can see the shortcut being created on the desktop although it doesn't have the icon of my application - it is just a standard Windows Shortcut icon and just when the application is finishing installing, it removes the shortcut from the desktop and the Windows Startup folder.

When the same setup is installed on a Windows 7 (32 bit and 64 bit), the icons are created properly and remain after setup is complete.

Do you have any ideas of anything else I can try?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.

David Samworth

hidenori wrote:
If you turn off the Show Add or Remove Programs Entry setting in the General Information view, make sure that you have Windows Installer 4.5 installed on your target machine by running the following command-line:

C:\> msiexec /?

There is an issue that the previous versions of Windows Installer do not set the icon properties correctly unless you register your product's entry in the Add or Remove Programs in the Control Panel. You may want to use the Redistributables view to add the InstallShield prerequisite for the Widnows Installer 4.5 to your installation in order to ensure that shortcut icons are installed properly on XP machines.

Hope that helps.
0 Kudos