cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DMorisseau
Level 5

ShortCut view grabbing random file for icon

Project type is InstallScript MSI.

I am creating shortcuts via the ShortCuts section of System Configuration. I want to create a shortcut to a readme.txt file. Seems simple enough, but when I try to build the project I'm getting the following error

ISDEV : error -3204: Cannot extract icon with index 0 from file , but the filename being picked up is a totally different file (not a txt, not an ico or dll file).

I deleted the shortcut, then re-created it. After the shortcut was created, I looked at the properties and it picked up the file from the error again.

Any ideas what I can look for? I'm trying to keep custom actions to a bare minimum with this project, unlike its predecessor.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

Have you checked if a valid icon file is specified for your shortcut in the Shortcuts view?
0 Kudos
DMorisseau
Level 5

In the end, what I ended up doing in the Shortcut view is removing the file name that had been picked up before I built my project.

My concern is that if InstallShield is picking up a random file to extract an icon for, even though a txt file should associate out to the standard txt icon.
I shouldn't have to remember to do this every time I create a shortcut to a file that doesn't have an icon to go with it.
0 Kudos