cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnkamau
Level 2

Setup taking ages to run remote custom action

I have an InstallScript MSI project that works fine but takes, ages to install.
GOSH! It wastes like 10 minutes doing nothing. I usually use installscript if i want any custom stuff done so I don't know much about custom actions. Anyways, I ran the setup with the flags
for logging and below is a snippet of the log:

[FONT="Courier New"]=== Verbose logging started: 9/29/2008 14:57:13
MSI (s) (B8:54) [14:59:22:276]: Executing op: ActionStart(Name=ISComponentServiceInstall,,)
InstallShield 14:59:22: Finished Comitting Property Bag
MSI (s) (B8:54) [14:59:22:276]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=ISComponentServiceInstall,ActionType=3073,Source=BinaryData,Target=ISComponentServiceInstall,CustomActionData=C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1.SYN\LOCALS~1\Temp\~17.tmp;C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1.SYN\LOCALS~1\Temp\~18.tmp)
MSI (s) (B8:C4) [14:59:22:307]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\MSI155.tmp, Entrypoint: ISComponentServiceInstall
MSI (s) (B8:54) [15:08:13:520]: Executing op: ActionStart(Name=InstallServices,Description=Installing new services,Template=Service: [2])
MSI (s) (B8:54) [15:08:13:536]: Executing op: ProgressTotal(Total=1,Type=1,ByteEquivalent=1300000)[/FONT]

The part of Invoking Remote custom action ... takes almost 10 minutes, no cpu activity, nothing. I have not idea what the setup is doing at that point in time and there's nothing like MSI155.tmp in any of the tables if I search through the Direct Editor.
Anyone know how I can sort this mess out.

Some stuff to know about the setup and enviroment:
Setup: Is InstallScript MSI, has one component with web files for an IIS web app install, has around 6 dlls for COM+ and a couple of exe's that are all .NET.
Env: Above log was done on Windows 2003 server but it takes just as long when installing on Win2k or WinXp. Setup is compiled/built on Win2k3 server.

Thanks
John K.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
johnkamau
Level 2

Well, I've been scouring the web for more on ISComponentServiceInstall and found out its purpose is to install components into COM+. So I'm wondering why does it take InstallShield 10min to install 6 dlls? I'd written a custom util some time back that took less than a minute!
Anyone else have this issue and maybe a possible work-around?

Any help would be much appreciated, this problem is really getting on my nerves. I've deleted all com+ entries from the direct editor and refreshed the COM+ components again but still it takes 10 min to do such a small task. :mad:

Thanks
John
0 Kudos