cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JamesSchreiber
Level 2

Setup looping problem seems to occur at ISInstallPrerequisites

This seems to be the same behavior reported earlier this week by Stinger for a looping problem with a patch install.

In my case though, it's during the initial installation. I've got a Basic MSI project.

I added a Prerequisite for the 64-bit .net framework. If I "Install before feature selection" - it seems to work.

I prefer to have it tied to a feature though, so that i can include it in one release but exclude it from another.

When I create a feature and conditionally link the prerequisite to that feature, then when it gets to the ISInstallPrerequisites portion in the Installation sequence, the setup is restarted, getting me to the welcome dialog again. If I continue, it will repeat the behavior (and so on, and so on).

Any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
carsten711
Level 5

i hat the same Problem in my Setup. Please try out to disable the "Advertise if Prerequisites Are Elevated" Funktion in the Release -> Setup.exe tab.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

If you want to include/exclude it by release, you can do that for either kind of prerequisite. Right click the prerequisite in the Redistributables view, select Properties, and enter release flags there. In general we recommend .NET frameworks to be installed only as setup prerequisites (before feature selection).
0 Kudos
JamesSchreiber
Level 2

Thank you for the quick responses.

Using the release flag for a setup prerequisite should work great. I haven't tried it with the project that got into the looping problem yesterday, but I tried that approach with a different project today and it seemed to work. Monday I'll be back on the original project and will implement that approach.

Thanks again, I appreciate the help.
0 Kudos