cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nr_learning
Level 2

Setup dosen't work for Windows Vista

Hi,
I have developed a setup using installshield 2009 using Windows XP. The setup copies some files and then call a third party exe after success dialog box event.

The setup is working fine in Windows Xp but with Windows Vista the custom action is not working and after success dialogue nothing is happening.

Don't know where the problem is?? Please help
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

If the third party executable requires administrative privileges, and is being launched from a custom action that is not marked as "Deferred in system context", it will probably fail. But that's just a guess; the original description leaves a lot unspecified.
0 Kudos
nr_learning
Level 2

We are using Install Shield Express 2009 so the only option that i got is to place the third party setup after Success dialog box (didn't see any option for deffer ed execution). Regarding the Administrative rights, if i try to install the third part exe separately it works but the setup is not able to call it on Windows Vista. The same setup is working fine on Windows XP.

The setup created is very simple. It copies some files and the folder containing the third party exe to the target system, do some registry for the files and then after Completion dialog call the third party exe.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Sorry, the Express edition doesn't offer very many options for this scenario. You can change your settings so that the setup.exe launches with administrative privileges, and then this may work. Or you can upgrade to the Professional or Premier editions so you can create prerequisites and/or use the full range of custom action configurations.

In the future, if you're using the Express edition, you will probably get more targeted answers in the Express forum.
0 Kudos