cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Services and shortcuts not removed

Hi.

I'm working on two basic msi project for two different releases of our product.
One already in production and one in development.
The two projects have some services installed using .NET installer class
The services installed have different names but the executable has the same name (In different folders of course).
I want to be able to have both versions installed on the same computer at the same time, but I’m running into problems when trying to uninstall one of the versions.

When uninstalling the released product, all the files are deleted but the Service.InstallState is not removed and the services are not removed from the registry.
Furthermore are the shortcuts created by installshield not removed as well.

I have checked the projects and the following GUIDs differs from the two projects.

Installation information/General Information/Summery Information/Package Code/
Installation information/General Information/Product Properties/Product Code/
Installation information/General Information/Product Properties/Upgrade code/

Why are the services and the shortcuts not removed completely from the computer?

Best regards,
Jens
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Are any of the component codes the same between the two projects? Does creating an MSI log file during uninstallation (and perhaps looking at it in InstallShield's MSI log analyzer) give you any more information?
0 Kudos
Not applicable

The services are not sharing code (They are original coming from the same source but the code has been branched for a long time ago).

When looking at the log file analyzer it says

DeleteServices 09:44:34 09:44:34 0 seconds 1 – Success
RemoveShortcuts 09:44:34 09:44:34 0 seconds 1 – Success
0 Kudos
Not applicable

The components are not sharing any code (Its from two different branches)

I can see the following from the log

'Configuration' shortcut's, 'Configuration.exe' component will not be removed, so that 'NewShortcut1_50867EC4E581430DB4DDA7780CD822FD.exe' icon will not be removed.

Executing op: AssemblyUnpublish(,,AssemblyType=3,AppCtx=C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Productname62\bin\Configuration.exe,AssemblyName=Configuration,Version="6.2.0.0",Culture="neutral",FileVersion="6.2.0.0",ProcessorArchitecture="X86",Descriptor=P&h*P[2K09Oy,z*[aDGqCompany_Enterprise>)%_R+8Afq@G31sv1MwXf)
Note: 1: 1402 2: UNKNOWN\Installer\Assemblies\C:|inetpub|wwwroot|Productname62|bin|Configuration.exe 3: 2
Note: 1: 1402 2: UNKNOWN\Installer\Assemblies\C:|inetpub|wwwroot|Productname62|bin|Configuration.exe 3: 2
Executing op: AssemblyUnpublish(,,AssemblyType=3,AppCtx=C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Productname62\bin\Company.OE.Service.exe,AssemblyName=Company.OE.Service,Version="6.2.0.0",PublicKeyToken="FD90371937D85573",Culture="neutral",FileVersion="6.2.0.0",ProcessorArchitecture="MSIL",Descriptor=P&h*P[2K09Oy,z*[aDGqCompany_Enterprise>XRsZ7+Rn_@D[^ZhS+&kK)
Note: 1: 1402 2: UNKNOWN\Installer\Assemblies\C:|inetpub|wwwroot|Productname62|bin|Company.OE.Service.exe 3: 2
Note: 1: 1402 2: UNKNOWN\Installer\Assemblies\C:|inetpub|wwwroot|Productname62|bin|Company.OE.Service.exe 3: 2
Executing op: AssemblyUnpublish(,,AssemblyType=3,AppCtx=C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Productname62\bin\Company.OE.Service.exe,AssemblyName=Company.OE.AppLogic,Version="6.2.0.0",PublicKeyToken="FD90371937D85573",Culture="neutral",FileVersion="6.2.0.0",ProcessorArchitecture="MSIL",Descriptor=P&h*P[2K09Oy,z*[aDGqCompany_Enterprise>WH!B.&Wsl1&Qee^~Xi2b)
Executing op: AssemblyUnpublish(,,AssemblyType=3,AppCtx=C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Productname62\bin\Company.OE.Service.exe,AssemblyName=Company.OE.AppString,Version="6.2.0.0",PublicKeyToken="C87D2F63F8356496",Culture="neutral",FileVersion="6.2.0.0",ProcessorArchitecture="MSIL",Descriptor=P&h*P[2K09Oy,z*[aDGqCompany_Enterprise>Xd8WRAfP[gS'^hZab1=9)

I can see that something is wrong but it works when the products are installed alone.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

By component code, I mean the component GUID, which is one of the component settings---do any of those match up? For example, was one project based on the other?
0 Kudos
Not applicable

The component GUID was the same and it helped to change the guids.

Thanks a lot for helping me out.

Jens
0 Kudos